Tuesday, March 2, 2010

"The Lord is my shepherd. I shall not want." Psalm 23:1


In ancient times, when this psalm was written, those who heard these words would have instinctively known how significant the image of a shepherd was.  A shepherd would protect and guide his sheep.  A shepherd would lift them from dangerous places and carry them when they could not walk themselves.  A shepherd would literally put himself between a dangerous predator and his sheep, placing himself in harm’s way for them.  A shepherd’s job was to make certain that no sheep would be lost and that every one would make it back home safely.  God is like a shepherd.  God will do anything for us to help and save us.  God wants none of us to be harmed or lost.  With this kind of God we will not lack anything we need, no matter how hard the journey.

With you as my shepherd, caring God, I am reminded that I need never be lost.  When I find myself confused and feeling alone, not certain which way to go, not sure if there is any hope, you come to carry and protect me.  I am much better for that.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment