Friday, July 10, 2009

Cancer - A Gift?

Early on after my cancer diagnosis, a friend came over to visit and pray for me. While we were talking, she mentioned that she thought my cancer diagnosis was a gift from the Lord. When she first said that I thought to myself, "A gift? I don't think so." But as time has gone on, I really have begun to see this as a gift. When you are diagnosed with cancer, you have to deal with your own mortality. Of course, we all know that life and death are two certain things that will happen to us, but hopefully, we dwell on life and not on the death part. I know for myself that before this, I didn't spend a lot of time thinking about death. Once I came to terms that ALL of us will die at some point and truly only God knows the number of our days, then I felt a release to truly LIVE each day, thankful for each day, enjoying each day. Cancer truly gives you a new perspective on life in so many ways. Things that were taken for granted, priorities that I thought were priorities are no longer on the list, time spent with family is so much more important, relationships are vital and not taken for granted. None of us knows how long we will be here on earth and once I grasped that, then I could move on and truly see the gift of cancer.

"You have heard; now see all this; and will you not declare it? From this time forward I make you hear new things, hidden things that you have not known." Isaiah 48:6

While there are undeniably untold numbers of challenges that cancer can bring, many also point to its potential for blessings. I can see cancer as a gift because it can teach me to make new and better priorities. It can reveal new strengths within me. It can show me new and healthier ways of living. It can foster new depths in my relationships. It can provide me a new understanding of our spiritual natures and of God. It can create in me a new level of wellness we had never known before.

There are new things I am learning day by day, dear Lord. Help me to reflect on these new things and allow them to bring new meaning to my life. Amen.

May your day be blessed with spending time with loved ones and making wonderful memories!

In Him,

Molly

No comments:

Post a Comment