Saturday, March 14, 2009

My husband and I met with the oncologist yesterday. We are having trouble getting the pathology report that he really needs so we can know what kind of cells are making up the cancer. So, we spent some time discussing more medicine options, etc. IF I have the kind of pathology report that he suspects in my case due to the fact that I'm in my 40's, non smoker, kind of cancer it is, then there is a wonderful drug I can take by mouth each day and it has a great success rate. I've done research on it myself and read lots of reviews and seen lots of people have success with it. It disrupts the flow of blood to the cancer, so it will shrink the tumor. It works to get rid of the bad cells and allows the good cells to continue to build your immune system, so the tumor shrinks. We would watch it every four weeks with a chest xray and if it shrinks, we know it works for me. If not, then we would either continue using it and add in two chemo drugs, to get rid of it all.

So, we have some specific prayer requests with this update:

1) That we will get the pathology report in this week or by early next week (He works in Plymouth on Thursdays, so his office is open only four days, btw.)

2) That the pathology report is what he thinks it is, so we can use this medicine

3) That we can get the medicine cheaper through some pharmaceutical companies' drug program that works with his office or that our insurance company will be willing to pay for it at our tier level - either way, one of them would be cheaper as it's a very expensive drug

4) That I can start this drug next week. If I can't use this drug, then I have to get a port put in next week, hopefully then we'll start chemo as soon as the port is in. So, there's still some behind the scene work that needs to be accomplished before we start.

I mentioned in an earlier update that I was weaning off the bone steroid. Well, I almost made it through, but then I started having pain again, like before the radiation. I forgot that when they gave me the bone iv last week, that one of the side effects is bone pain, actually like growing pains in children. Well, that's a GOOD thing, that means the bone iv medicine is working. He had told me it would take about a week and today is a week. So, I'm now on 2 mg. of steroids and if I have pain, I'm to take 800 mg. of Motrin. So, that's a praise, the medicine is working and making my bones strong again! Yay! I'd like to get off the steroid altogether though, as that is what is affecting my sleep pattern. It has caused me to be almost hyper, even at 2 mg. It causes insomnia.

No comments:

Post a Comment